Monday 30 September 2024

September Stories

It's the end of September ... and I am tired.  I need to put another alarm on my phone that reminds me to do laundry.  The following happens far too often: I am getting ready for bed when I realize that I need to do laundry as one or more of us need something in the morning.  I hang up a number of things to dry so I usually need to wait until the wash is finished so that I can hang items before I go to sleep. 

I've also just switched this past week from taking my medication by injection to taking it orally.  It's the same medication but I don't know yet if it will work for me or not.  I thought it was worth a try to get away from the needles that Graham kindly administers.  This change could also make me more tired.  

It feels good to be back into a fall routine and this is the most organized I've been yet, at least in terms of the kids.  They each have lists to check off each day.  

All of the kids are enjoying being back at school and seeing their friends.  Isaac likes being in high school and has joined the band.  Thankfully there is only one early morning band practice at 7:00 a.m. and the other practice is after school.  I drive him and it reminds me of my dad driving me to band practice, though that started at 7:30 a.m. and I thought that was early.  

Kohen is one of two grade 5 boys in the grade 5/6 class.  Thankfully he is good friends with the other boy.  He goes with him to his church to a kids' program during the week.  We all went to watch Kohen play lacrosse tonight.  It's a short season with just five sessions but it's been fun to see him learn a new sport that I have never before watched.  His final practice and game are next week.  

Lily-Anna has been to two birthday parties this month.  I always like finding out who she plays with at recess and what they do.  She is so creative and has lots of ideas.  

It's been so nice to see my dad's cousin and his wife who are visiting from Northern Ireland.  It's also been fun to meet the children of one of Graham's coworkers.  We went to the park together where I realized it's been a long time since I chased after a two-year-old.  They are fast!  

I forgot to mention that we started the month with a trip to Toronto Island with friends.  Our family took the bus and train again and we managed to meet our friends on the ferry so we could eat lunch together and the kids went on some rides together.  It was a fun day.  We then saw another family from church at Union Station and another couple at a different station on the way home.  Good times!

We made some changes to our bedroom which is why I am sitting on a Lazyboy chair typing this in my room.  We were able to find a tall dresser on Marketplace so we said goodbye to our big long dresser which we were given when we married which has enabled us to have a chair in our room.  I found a little round table that can hold a hot drink and it has shelves to hold our Bibles.  

It has definitely made me want to hang out in our room more and I've found Graham sitting on the chair reading a number of times.  I didn't realize this was a needed change until it happened.  I'm thankful Graham mentioned that he'd like to have a chair in the room.  We are using one that was in the boys' room and they have one that was in our basement which also means that our basement has more available space.        

We've been able to declutter a little but there is so much more that needs to happen.  

We've been listening to lots of Vanderbeeker and now Penderwick audiobooks.  It's so nice to listen to stories of people whose company you love ... even when they are characters in a book.  I even love the pets in these books.  

Graham and I are going to co-lead a Bible study with friends from our church.  It starts this week.  It's the first time we have been part of one with children so it will be interesting to see how it works.  The idea is that the children play in one area while the parents are meeting in another room.  We'll see how it goes.  

It's time to end this and see if I can figure out how to post some photos before I fall asleep.  

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter:  Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment