Wednesday 24 July 2013

An altar to praise Him

I had coffee with a friend this morning which was lovely.  It was decaf.  Isaac had fun with his grandparents.  Grandma told him, "We're going on a little trip but it's a surprise."  He whispered back, "Grandma, no clowns."

We're received so many lovely cards, emails, comments, and we've been supported by so many people who came to the visitation and the funeral (even people we don't know very well).  It's been such a blessing and it's really challenged me to think about when I haven't shown up or called or sent a note (unfortunately I can think of many instances) because it really makes a difference and is such a blessing - so thank you to everyone!  

Isaac's volunteer from the hospice came and visited Isaac this afternoon. The last time she was here was before Josiah passed away, because it didn't work out the week of the funeral and I messed up last week.  Isaac was very excited when I told him who was coming.  He happily showed her some new toys and they played.  I enjoyed a walk while she was here.  It's nice to walk at an adult pace.  She thought he had grown a lot which is also what Grandma F. says.

He's growing up before our eyes.  I mentioned to Graham the other day that Isaac is due to go to school before he turns four (next September) and he thought I was kidding him at first.  We'll face that decision next year.  Isaac actually talks about school all the time, I assume it's due to his cousins.  I ask him where he learned something and he'll often say, "At school."  Apart from missing his Mommy desperately (insert smiley face!), I expect he'll like school and I look forward to hearing about his day.

Isaac and I went for a walk before supper and we were able to see lots of ducks, four airplanes, a cat, two dogs, and two boys in a kids motorized jeep that he thought he'd like to try.  I simply reminded him of his awesome go-kart.  He and Graham played in the backyard after supper.  He wanted to play with his baseball and glove.

A lovely family sent us a cd by Steve Bell called Beyond A Shadow.  Right now, I really resonate with the first song especially, called Here By the Water.  May the altar we build from the stones of this journey, praise our Lord, God and King.

I thought briefly today about the story of King David and the death of his baby son.  I just looked it up and here are some verses from 2 Samuel 12:19-23 below.  One day I will go to Josiah. 

19 David noticed that his attendants were whispering among themselves, and he realized the child was dead. “Is the child dead?” he asked.
“Yes,” they replied, “he is dead.”
20 Then David got up from the ground. After he had washed, put on lotions and changed his clothes, he went into the house of the Lord and worshiped. Then he went to his own house, and at his request they served him food, and he ate.
21 His attendants asked him, “Why are you acting this way? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept, but now that the child is dead, you get up and eat!”
22 He answered, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me and let the child live.’ 23 But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.”

As the funeral and burial for Josiah approached, I thought it would be hard to think of his physical body buried under the ground but that hasn't been difficult at all, thankfully.

I'd like to write more but it's getting late.  Isaac has cried out a couple of times tonight but when I get to his door he's quiet again.   I don't want to think that he's having bad dreams.

Thank you so much for your prayers.  A repair person is coming in the morning so hopefully my washing machine will be fixed by noon!

Blessings,

Elizabeth

Psalm 42:1-2
As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When shall I come and appear before God?[b]


1 comment:

  1. Out of the office: That means that our computers have been with the IT Guy and so I have missed saying hi and praying for your strength, Much love.
    Hebrews 4:16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may reaceive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

    ReplyDelete