Thursday 11 July 2013

So Thankful

Today was everything we wanted it to be.  God gave us the words to say and His peace and strength to get us through the day.  We were blessed to see so many friends and family and were able to receive lots of hugs during the reception.  Many people travelled to support us today and we are so grateful.  God worked it out so that my cousin who lives in Switzerland happened to be in Ontario for work and was able to attend the funeral today.  It was so wonderful to see her and hug her as well as my aunt and uncle whom we haven't been able to go and visit since Josiah was born due to his limitations.

I may write more about the day in another blog.  I believe the service was videoed so we may be able to post it so that our family and friends overseas are able to see it if they'd like.  I thought I would crash tonight but we're just enjoying a relaxing evening.  I watched a lot of videos of Josiah.  Praise God for technology!  It wasn't hard to watch them.  In some ways it seems so long ago that I held Josiah in my arms. 

I was very tired after the reception but the graveside service was also beautiful.  We and our families decorated the casket with our hand prints and short messages to Josiah.  While the casket was lowered, we threw flowers on top.  We had a little private time with Isaac at the graveside.  We had two helium balloons and we wrote on them, "Thank you Jesus for Josiah."  The plan was to send one into the sky to represent it going to heaven as a gift for Jesus and then Isaac could keep the other one.  Isaac wanted to keep both of them so that was fine.  This way I don't have to concern myself about what environmental damage the balloon would cause.  It would have been fun to watch it fly into the sky.

We think Isaac did remarkably today.  I'm so glad he was with us.  He was upset when the casket was closed right before we walked into the church.  He gets fixated on things so he just kept telling us that he wanted the box open in a very sad voice.  Thankfully it dawned on my wise husband that we could just open it up again so the funeral director came and opened up the casket at the front of the sanctuary near the end of the worship time at the beginning of the service.  I think I will always have fond memories of that.  I don't imagine that happens too often.  Then Isaac said that he wanted Baby out of the casket.  He was able to settle down though and was good for the remainder of the service.

I wanted him to see the casket lowered into the ground so that he would understand where it went.  He did say he wanted to take Baby home and he cried a little but he calmed down and was fine the rest of the day.  We don't have psychology degrees so we're praying our way through this each day.  It's a gift that he's old enough to miss Josiah and want him back.  We all want him back. 

Those of you who weren't at the funeral missed a little announcement that we made.  I told Josiah the news less than a week before he passed away.  See if you can guess our news from the picture below.  I'll give you the correct answer tomorrow in case our hint is too subtle!  God is so good!

Can you guess our news?

Thank you for your continued prayers!  We are being carried by our faithful God and answers to your prayers.  I think we'll sleep well tonight.  We have the peace that surpasses understanding.

Blessings,

Elizabeth

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment