Thursday 18 July 2013

His favourite things

The Berg Buddy Orange!
How can I feel completely awake before 5:00 AM?

Graham and I always pray together at the door along with Isaac before Graham leaves for work.  Yesterday was the first day that he hasn't asked God to be with, "Elizabeth, Isaac, and Josiah."  

I often ask Isaac, "Who loves you?"  He usually starts his list with Mommy and Daddy so I ask, "Who else loves you?"  Yesterday, before he answered, "Baby", he said, "Michael", Josiah's nurse. 

I think I was nauseous yesterday morning.  My head was saying that I needed to eat but I thought food would make me throw up.  I lay down for a few minutes and that helped.  I'm assuming it's related to pregnancy though I've never felt that way before.  Perhaps lack of sleep and food and the heat (I had been out and about before this happened) and Josiah could all be contributing factors.

I don't want to forget the things Josiah liked:  His muslin blankets (we buried him with his favourite one - white with turquoise hippos; the green one is on my bed with his bunny), helicopter toy, his new plastic photo book without photos, his first glance of people in the morning, having his brother near - especially in the crib with him, playing with Daddy, going on stroller rides as long as the stroller was moving, the noise from the red tube, DVDs - especially Old MacDonald and Noah as well as BOZ, swaying in my arms during the music time at church, throwing his blanket far up over his head and letting it fall onto his face, playing the baby piano, being moved quickly through the air (sort of like being thrown up high), cuddling and sleeping in Grandpa's arms, seeing his grandparents usually brought smiles, playing and pulling his oxygen and NG tubes, touching the decorations on his window, being in his exersaucer and other play chairs turning the balls and cylinders, being tickled (sometimes - often in the evening before bed), bath time, his nurse, eating his crunchy fake Cheesies (made from vegetables), "When I was Wee" sometimes, when I gave him one of his favourite toys in the morning, his ball that moved by itself, peek-a-boo behind his crib and being surprised, being rocked to sleep while I patted his bottom, calming him down by making a purring sound in his ear, singing my song, "Mommy Loves You," ...   

Isaac and I went to the grocery store today.  I saw foods I would have bought for Josiah.  We had a delicious supper tonight.  It's so hard to believe that it's been a week since Josiah's funeral.  Isaac was missing Josiah in the car today so I asked him if he'd like to go and water the grave so we did that tonight after supper.  It's really such a nice place.  The birds sing and the view is lovely.

I don't think I mentioned this but when I found out that I was pregnant I realized that having our room taken at the B&B was another gift from God.  I'm pretty sure I've read that pregnant women should not have really hot baths or be in a jacuzzi so God protected me and the baby.   

Daddy and Isaac near Josiah's gravesite
Isaac received an incredible gift today.  A friend whom we've met through Josiah won the Berg Buddy Orange (the go-kart in the top photo) while playing golf yesterday.  He thought that Isaac would like it and asked us if it would be alright with us.  His kind boss dropped it off this morning.  Isaac was definitely very interested and excited by it but he hasn't quite brought himself to actually sit on it yet.  He did stand on part of it and he kept asking me all day, "What's that?" and I would answer, "That's a very special gift for you."  Graham was more than happy to sit on it (it brought back some childhood dreams).  It may take a few years until Isaac is speeding down the road with it but that's alright with Mommy.  We'll be able to take him for rides as soon as we can get him on it.  He did the same thing when he received his tricyle.  He's a cautious boy.

Thank you for your prayers!

Blessings,

Elizabeth

John 5:24

“I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Graham and Elizabeth
    I wanted to express my sincerest sympathies at the loss of Josiah. I don't know if you remember me but I'm the niece of Pat Fox and the nurse practitioner from SickKids NICU. We met a few times during Josiah's long stay at SickKids. I have thought of your family frequently and asked about Josiah everytime I was together with Pat. She was so kind to notify me when Josiah passed away. I know how much he was loved and the wonderful care you provided him. I am in awe of the words you both have shared. I am hopeful that as time passes you will find ongoing comfort in these words as you read them again. My sincerest sympathies, Judy Hawes

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are following the footsteps of Jesus in this wk of your journey. We ask that all of you get extra rest, especially for that wee new babe, too. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right Isaac I really do love you, because you deserved to be loved. In the last 14 days, every night before I go to bed, I read the blog and learn how your day went without your Josiah. You must be miss all the kisses used to give him and all the actions Josiah used to stare at you and said “I love you” with his eyes. After all, your little brother is in the heaven sleeping peacefully without pain and discomfort.
    Big hugs from me Isaac and please remember NOT to blow a hot air into me, so I do not get to sweat.
    I wrote this massage last night when I read the blog. You and Graham playing with your new gift “Berg Buddy Orange”, but unable to finish it on time and send it.
    Miss you a lot.

    ReplyDelete