Friday 5 July 2013

Awake

Someone asked me last night if Josiah sleeps through the night.  I happily answered that both boys sleep through the night.  I guess I should have added the word 'usually.'  Josiah woke us up with his crying at 4:30 AM last night.  He was putting his legs through the bars of the crib and getting caught.  Of course he was mad at me when I moved him closer to the other side of the crib.  He then started turning in the direction instead.  I stayed in the room until after 5:00 as he's harder to trust when he's awake at night.  He always wants to grab tubes.  He'll slide his fingers along his neck until he finds the end of his NG tube. 

Graham was off today.  He took Isaac to his parents' home to be with all the family.  If I had gone or if we'd tried to take Josiah, we would have had to return by 3:30 PM when the nursing shift ends.  This way they were able to stay for dinner.  They had a great time.  We'll all be together tomorrow.

Yesterday at dinner Isaac discovered that there's a little depression under his nose and above his lip (I just discovered this is called the philtrum).  Isaac doesn't want his.  

Josiah had a good day though he was stuck inside for most of it due to rain.  He didn't enjoy his face tapes being changed this afternoon but he tuckered himself out for his nap.  The local nurse practitioner told me yesterday that NG tubes are only meant as a temporary solution and chatted with me about a G-tube in his tummy.  I don't like the thought of that.  It would involve surgery.  I'm still hoping he'll be able to drink his feeds, though I would still need the tube for the current medicines.  I need to ask if we can decrease any of his medications. 

I was going through some papers today and found some quotations from chapter 2 of Francis Chan's book, "Crazy Love."  The words were both encouraging and challenging and a great reminder:

"When I am consumed by my problems - stressed out about my life, my family, and my job--I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice. [Philippians 4:4]  In other words, that I have a 'right' to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities."

"Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives.  Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace toward others, or our tight grip of control.  Basically, these two behaviours communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional.  Both worry and stress reek of arrogance.  So many of us think and live like the movie of life is all about us.  From start to finish, this movie is obviously about God."

Thanks so much for your prayers!

Blessings,

Elizabeth

Proverbs 5:21
For the Lord sees clearly what a man does, examining every path he takes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment